First, I printed out a heart. I used the heart shape in photoshop but you could also use that dingbats font (or whatever it’s called) in word. Then, I turned the paper over, heart facing down, and covered the back of the paper with painters tape. Make sure that the tape is overlapping so that you will have a solid piece when you cut it out.
Then carefully cut out the heart shape.
After I cut out the heart, I added an extra piece of tape where I had made the initial cut through. I wanted to make sure that it was a “solid” piece. That’s probably confusing, but here’s what I am talking about:
Next, peal the tape off of the paper. I had to do this really slowly because the tape strips didn’t want to stay together. But… when you’re done, you should have a nice cut-out heart.
Then, stick the tape heart to the mug, making sure that it is centered. Also, make sure that the tape is really stuck down, with no creases or bumps along the edges that paint could seep into. After that, continue to cover all parts of the mug that you don’t want any stray paint on. I even covered the top third of the inside, just in case!
I feel like there are so many variations that could be done… polka dots, gold-dipped looks, gold rimmed… I’ll be trying at least a few in the future.